Annual General Meeting Friday 26th September 2014 at 7.30pm. St. Mary’s Parish Centre, Cushendall.

This year the AGM will be followed by a talk and recital on the music and culture of the Irish pipes by Terry Moylan of Na Píobairí Uilleann, entitled :‘The History of Uilleann Piping’. Our Chairman Frank Rogers will then launch The Glynns volume 42. The evening will conclude with light refreshments.

Continue Reading Comments { 0 }

Next Lecture: “The History of Uilleann Piping” A Talk & Recital on The Music & Culture of the Irish Pipes by Terry Moylan, Na Piobairi Uilleann

Friday 26th September at 8.00pm (following the AGM) in The Parish Centre Cushendall

Continue Reading Comments { 0 }

MARCONI and BALLYCASTLE

Editorial Note.  The following article is the text of a lecture given by the late Hugh Alexander Boyd M.A. M.Lit. M.Phil. M.A.(Ed) H.DipEd. (1907-1996) at St. Mary Star of the Sea Secondary School on the occasion of Ballycastle Civic Week in August 1968. We are grateful to Mrs Pearl Boyd for her permission to print […]

Continue Reading Comments { 0 }

FORUM ACCESS

We had been experiencing some difficulties where new users could not validate their accounts on the forum and they could not login; we are pleased to say this problem has now been fixed. Can any users who have had problems try logging once again, access should be fine. Can we also urge any users who […]

Continue Reading Comments { 0 }

CARNLOUGH HARBOUR DEVELOPMENT SCHEME, 1854—1864 by Jimmy Irvine

The Marchioness of Londonderry inherited her Carnlough Estate on the death of her mother, the Countess of Antrim, in 1834.     Anne-Catherine MacDonnell, Countess of Antrim (circa. 1798)  The  Marchioness did not begin to develop this estate till ten years later on account of her being abroad with her husband.  During the following twenty […]

Continue Reading Comments { 0 }

GRAVESTONE INSCRIPTIONS FROM NAPPAN By Brian S. Turner KILLYCRAPPIN GRAVEYARD County Antrim O.S. Sheet 20. Grid Ref. 292225.

  Killycrappin is one of those private corners of Ireland for which we have no evidence that it has ever been anything else.  It is on that part of the steep coast of Antrim which runs from just north of Carnlough to Garron Point and is know as the ‘Largy’.  (Leargaidh – the side or […]

Continue Reading Comments { 0 }

Photo & Video Link Now Available.

You can now access our archive of photographs & videos via the link on our homepage.

Continue Reading Comments { 0 }

One of two lectures delivered by Hugh A Boyd during Ballycastle Civic Week, 1968

Old Ballycastle BALLYCASTLE is situated in the north-eastern corner of County Antrim on a bay midway between Kenbann Head and Fair Head. The town developed on the left bank of the river Tow, about half a mile upstream from Ballycastle Bay. It formed the caput or capital of the Barony of Carey, which extends from […]

Continue Reading Comments { 0 }

NOTES ON BALLYCASTLE IN THE OLDEN DAYS. Canon Isaac Purcell Barnes, B.A., & Hugh Alexander Boyd

These notes have been compiled from MS. papers written about the year 1906 by the late Canon Isaac Purcell Barnes, B.A., Incumbent of Ballycastle Church 1874 – 1921. They have been edited and additional material has been included by Hugh Alexander Boyd.   (Sketch Map of Ballycastle 1760) At the time that Ballycastle Church was […]

Continue Reading Comments { 0 }

BOOK REVIEWS

  Andrews, J., Page, M. and Sheehan, T. Ballycastle Golf Club 1890-1990 In conjunction with its centenary celebrations Ballycastle Golf Club has published an interesting history of the club from its foundation in 1890 until the present day. It was a fortunate day for Ballycastle when a golf club was formed as otherwise there is […]

Continue Reading Comments { 0 }