Lying about 12 miles north of Larne it is the most southerly of the Nine Glens of Antrim. The village of Glenarm has a population of about 500 people with perhaps 600-700 in the upper glen. There was an important fort here in Norman times providing an outlet to the sea for the extensive Norman settlement in mid-Antrim. The harbour has recently been renovated and a new marina created with moorings for some 75 boats.
Glenarm Castle, dating from 1750 with early 19th century alterations lies near the village and the Antrim Estate extends up the Glen for about four miles on both sides of the river. The Church of Ireland stands on the site of a Third Order Franciscan Friary founded about AD 1500 with part of the walls still visible. The great Shane O'Neill, killed at Cushendun in 1567 is reputed to be buried here, minus his head which was displayed on a spike at Dublin Castle.
A survey of Glenarm identified six clachans - Bellair (1), Long Fall (2) in the townland of Dickeystown; Feystown (3) in the townland of Clady; Cruck (4), Ligg (5) and Cullyvully (6) in the townland of Mullaghsandall.